Wednesday 16 October 2019, 08:30am - 04:30pm
Gain a comprehensive understanding of Canadian food regulations. Compliance is like a big jigsaw puzzle of laws and regulations, and this course shows how all the pieces fit together. Understanding the mechanics of regulations is an essential part of compliance and allows a more effective approach to modernization, such as the transition to the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations. Ask questions of one of Canada’s leading food regulatory experts and learn how to navigate the complex regulatory landscape. Through presentation, case studies, and open dialogue this program reviews food regulations in Canada.
This program helps build awareness and confidence in managing food regulatory compliance matters. It is an ideal program to take prior to more advanced and specific courses such as Canadian Food Labelling, Canadian Ingredient Labelling and Canadian Nutrition Labelling.
At the end of the program, you will be able to:
- Identify the federal and provincial regulatory landscape and how it affects interprovincial and international trade
- Define and understand the federal acts and regulations affecting the sale of food in Canada
- Categorize and compare product classifications and jurisdictional considerations, (i.e. meat, processed fruit and vegetable products, manufactured food)
- Appreciate how laws and regulations are made, and have a better sense of the timing of their changes
- Appreciate how interim marketing authorizations (IMAs), marketing authorizations (MAs) and temporary marketing authorizations (TMALs) influence food compliance
- Appreciate the role of documents incorporated by reference (e.g. organic standards, food additives, food standards, etc.)
- Appreciate how the new Safe Food for Canadians Act and Regulations (SFCR) now governs foods in Canada, where it continues from other legislation and where it is headed in the future
- Discuss the Food and Drug Regulations (FDR) as they relate to food standards, composition, definitions, food additives and labelling.
- Recognize how the FDR and SFCR work together to govern food in Canada.
- Better understand the influence of regulations, guidelines and policies on matters such as dietary fibre, organic, allergen labeling, ban on partially hydrogenated fats and product of Canada claims.
- Appreciate compliance resources and how to use them
- Better appreciate the timing of food regulatory modernization
Who Should Attend
- Food Inspectors
- Food Safety & Quality Consultants
- Food Safety Personnel
- Food Scientists
- Food Technologists
- Global Food Safety Personnel
- HACCP Personnel
- Ingredient Suppliers
- Marketing and Communications Personnel
- Owners/Operations of Food Business
- Plant Managers/Supervisors
- Product Development Personnel
- Production Managers/Supervisors
- Public Health Inspectors
- R&D Personnel
- Regulatory Authorities, Managers & Personnel
- Supply Chain Managers
Location Vancouver, BC | TBD Venue details to follow